August 5, 2005

It Was Grand!



  • Nationals 7, Dodgers 0

With Dave and I in the house Brad Wilkerson hit the first grand slam in Nationals history, and the Nats offense made a surprise appearance to provide pitcher John "Stretch" Patterson with more run support than he's had all season.

The Nats rejuvenated bats nearly overshadowed a highlight reel performance by Patterson, who pitched a complete game shutout, allowing just 4 hits and striking out a career-best 13 batters. Frank Robinson left Stretch in to bat in the bottom of the 8th with the bases-loaded and 1 out, so that he could pitch the ninth for his first career complete game.

After the game Patterson said,

"For the first time in my career, I feel comfortable in the clubhouse," he said. "I feel comfortable with the city. I feel comfortable with the fans. I love playing for Frank Robinson. He motivates me in so many ways because I have so much respect for him. . . . I feel like I'm in my element."

Other notable performances: Goooz went 2-4 with a run and 2 RBIs, raising his average back to within striking distance of.200; fear of being replaced by a minor-leaguer apparently motivated Vinny to stroke an RBI double; and Preston Wilson continued to display zen-like balance, going 2-4 at the plate, but misplaying a ball hit to the gap in left.

Dave really wanted a photo of the scoreboard after the game, but the stupid digital thing cycled off before we could get into position for a shot. So we'll just steal one from somewhere else, and post it here, just like real journalists.

1 comment:

DJDave said...

Some tidbits on the grand slam, from the Washington Times:

"It was Washington's first grand slam of the season -- and the first at RFK since a man named Frank Robinson did it while wearing a Baltimore Orioles uniform on June 26, 1970.

"Really? I didn't know that," Wilkerson said. "That's pretty cool. That's really cool."